What we do
The University of Tasmania Communications and Media Office is responsible for the range of communication and media-related activities.
These are designed to inform staff, students, stakeholders and the public about the University's vision, its achievements in research and teaching, its expert commentators, and its engagement with the community through a range of activities, projects, programs and events. We do this by:
- Communicating regularly with staff, students, stakeholders and the public
- Managing the web-based news services University News (including the hompage news feed), Staff News and the staff-only intranet
- Writing and issuing media alerts and media releases
- Assisting in communication planning and providing support to projects and programs
- Coordinating media events with academic and professional staff
- Offering a central contact for media inquiries to the University
- Working with other communications staff at the Menzies Research Institute, Australian Maritime College, and centres, schools and faculties
- Providing advice on communications best practice, including using social media
- Producing a range of publications
- Monitoring media coverage in local, national and international media
- Producing the weekly News@UTAS bulletin, presenting news, events and updates to staff
- Implementing the UTAS Media Communications Policy
The internal News@UTAS bulletin is delivered to all current University staff by email every week. Items for News@UTAS can be submitted to email@example.com by COB Wednesday, for the following week's edition. This is a great forum to celebrate staff successes and inform staff about events and research. You can also subscribe to this news service as an RSS feed.
The Communications and Media Office produces a variety of publications that appear in hard-copy and online. Story ideas can be sent at any time to Media.Office@utas.edu.au
Alumni News can be read online here http://www.utas.edu.au/alumni/whats-on/alumni-news
O2T magazine can be read online here http://www.utas.edu.au/o2t
Research to Reality can be read online here http://www.research.utas.edu.au/grants/research_to_reality.htm
All University media releases are listed online http://www.media.utas.edu.au/media-releases.
For assistance in preparing a media release for a University event, research update, or achievement, please contact the Communications and Media Office +61 3 6226 2691 (Hobart) or +61 3 6324 3218 (Launceston) or email Media.Office@utas.edu.au
The Communications and Media Office also operates the expert database. This database has an external view with areas of expertise and contact details academics are comfortable making available to the media, and an internal view (only available to key staff within the Communications and Media team) with additional information and out-of-hours contact details.
These private numbers are not disclosed to the media by Communications and Media staff unless directly approved by the academic or spokesperson.
It is also important to note that building a media profile requires a level of accessibility outside of regular hours. This office is happy to facilitate that accessibility if academics do not wish to provide the their private contact details direct to media.
To assist the office with keeping the database updated, please provide information on changes in staffing, areas of expertise and contact details. If academics wish to update their details, they can visit http://www.studentcentre.utas.edu.au/mediaexperts/ and check their current listing. If their current listing needs updating, the new details can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with "expert database" in the subject line.
The Communications and Media operates the University's Twitter account. Find us on twitter
We are able to advise on the use of social media in communication activities, in particular appropriate use of the different technologies for different audiences.
For more information on the University's social media presence, including guidelines, please visit: http://www.utas.edu.au/social
Marketing and advertising
To find out about placing a newspaper advertisement, or for information on branding and marketing, please contact Marketing: http://www.utas.edu.au/marketing-communications/marketing
For information on the University's brand guidelines, including logo usage, please visit: http://www.utas.edu.au/brand