Tasmania’s future agricultural leaders were acknowledged and celebrated at the 2017 University of Tasmania Agriculture Scholarships Presentation at Agfest today (Thursday, 4 May 2017).
The scholarships support students studying agriculture at the University of Tasmania and are funded by local industry, community organisations, individuals, and the University.
Head of the School of Land and Food Professor Holger Meinke said the scholarships demonstrated strong community support for agricultural education.
“There is strong support from industry and community partners to ensure Tasmanians, including those from regional areas, have the opportunity to study agriculture,” Professor Meinke said.
“Today we are recognising the achievements of nine promising agriculture students who have received scholarships worth almost $150,000 to support their studies.
“A degree in agriculture set students up for diverse career opportunities and allows them to tackle some of the world’s biggest challenges, such as global food security and climate change.
“The agricultural industry is crying out for qualified people to employ and we find many of our graduates are offered jobs before they graduate.”
Professor Meinke said the University of Tasmania was extremely grateful for the scholarships which provide practical assistance and inspiration for students to excel in their studies.
The 2017 University of Tasmania Agriculture Scholarship recipients are:
· Annick Witte (Agriculture and Food Systems Scholarship);
· Claire Cunningham (Bert Campbell Memorial Scholarship in Agriculture);
· Hannah Cummins (Blundstone Scholarship);
· Hugh McShane (Bruce Wall Scholarship);
· Jarrod Hamilton (Costa North-West Scholarship in Agricultural Science);
· Oliver Gales (Neale Edwards Scholarship in Agricultural Science or Forestry);
· Anna Mackintosh (Professor George Wade Scholarship in Agricultural Science);
· Olivia Cripps (Tasmanian Beef Industry Trust Scholarship in Agricultural Science);
· Ella Roper (Costa Honours Scholarship in Agricultural Science).
Published on: 04 May 2017 12:15pm